welcome

welcome readers & writers! in this cyber space please find: + a photo writing prompt + a place to post your creative writing response (poem, memoir, short story or the like) to the prompt + a community of readers and fellow writers excited to read your writing + morsels of genuine fiction, poetry & creative non-fiction as the blog is updated. share a response as often as you'd like. everyday discoveries from my life, captured on film, will serve as prompts. this is not a place where we will critique one another's work; however, words of encouragement or praise for writers who share their work are most welcome. writers, share your story, poem or creative non-fiction response to the photo by clicking on comments; word count is flexible. cheers! demery

Monday, September 6, 2010

inverted


welcome readers & writers! hope your monday isn't rainy and that it's not getting you down. so glad you stopped by to read or to write (or both). thank you FilmGuy and Lola Sharp for your kind words regarding the blogging award that was passed on to me over the weekend by fellow blogger Michele Shaw.
***
i'm looking forward to reading what you writers have to say about today's photo prompt. 250(ish) words or less - submit your story, poem or creative non-fiction response below by clicking on comments. i love to read your work! here's my fiction spin on the photo: 
-
One thing gets me through my work day right now. Don't know what the hell's gonna happen when the inventory changes or some bored friggin' housewife decides she has to have a dozen hour glasses on her friggin' mantle. L.A. sucks. Finished film school in June. I'm a camera man. Came with some friends to try and catch the wave - break into the movie industry. Friggin' nothing is going my way. First day of work at this place my wallet gets stolen outta my locker. One roommate's buggin' out after just six weeks. The other guy and I can't afford the rent. Tried to rent a smaller place but can't get my name on the lease without an ID, which is in the friggin' wallet. Can't get a new ID because of unpaid traffic tickets back in New York. Can't pay the tickets 'til I get my paycheck. Can't cash a paycheck 'til I have an ID. My mom's working on all this from ten states away. It's nice of her, but friggin' humiliating. So every time I walk by these things, which is a lot - because I stock the housewares department - I turn at least one of 'em over. They go for fifteen minutes. I try to keep one running all the time. All day. They remind me that this crap job won't last. I just have-ta stick it out. Even if it takes three, four hundred, even ten thousand turns. One day I'm gonna look around this city and feel at home. One day this friggin' tinsel town is gonna give me a star.
-
come write with me!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Demery! I was thinking about your son's reading habits today, and I thought of a book he might like -- it's called, "The Book of Lost Things." It's definitely dark, pretty scary kind of like "Coraline," but it has a very redeeming, poignant ending. It's really a beautiful book.

    Anyway, just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There just wasn't enough time.
    The End.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's time to start.
    It's time, Son.
    It's time to start?
    Really?
    I'm not ready.
    It's time to start!
    Okay, Okay.
    It's time to start.

    Time is running out.
    Time is running, Son.
    Time is running out?
    Really?
    Time is running out!
    Okay Okay.
    Time is running out.

    Time's up.
    Time's up, Son.
    Time's up?
    Really?
    Time's up!
    Okay, Okay.
    Time's up.

    It's time to follow me.
    Time to follow me, all of you.
    Time to follow you?
    Really?
    Time to follow me!
    Okay, Okay.
    Time to follow you.

    ReplyDelete